Scott's Soapbox

Wednesday, July 28, 2004

Day 2 of the Democrats

7:03 - Fox lingers on Kerry's "NASA" photo for over 10 seconds.  NASA says they did not release photo...hmmm.  Kerry does look stupid though- who lets him do that stuff?  Of course, maybe not as dump as Bush looks in "Mission Accomplished" photo. 

7:05 - Ben Affleck sounds better than most politicians.  Smarter, more knowledgeable, and uses big words.

7:13 - As fade out of Hardball, Chris Matthews says of Affleck "Jesus, he's smart!"

7:23 - The word "agitprop" just came out of Ben's mouth.  If he knows so many words, how come he can't read a movie script to decide which movie to be in.

7:30 - Tim Russert still needs a trim.

7:54 - The anthem is being sung via live camera by a group of Native Americans in their language.  It sounds terrible, you cannot sing along, the hall is dead, and what a picture.  Democrats' tent is too big for their own good sometimes.  Whoever's idea this was, you're fired.

8:01 - O'Reilly in his opening "Talking Points" memo responds to criticism about Fox's not covering the speeches.  He says Fox provides "perspective" on the news rather than "partisan blather."  He's right, but didn't he just make the critics' point?

8:02 - On CNN, Jeff Greenfield whether Ted Kennedy's speech will be "red meat or tofu."

8:07 - Ben Affleck is now on O'Reilly- he is everywhere.  Bill calls him "Aff-lick" it sounds like.

8:11 - O'Reilly says "We'll let you listen to Ted Kennedy for a whie- if he shows up."  Ted Kennedy has been speaking over Bill's shoulder for ten minutes now.  What the hell does is he talking about.

8:12 - Ted Kennedy is on to "excesses" of Enron and Halliburton.  Says Dems will retire Cheney to an "undisclosed location."  Red meat it is.

8:18 - TK says Bush "squandered" good will of the American people and the world after September 11th.  I only mentioned this as this is the exact word they are all using.  Guess he got the e-mail. 

8:24 - Jerry Brown- click!  Give it up.

8:28 - Kennedy made an anology between American Revolution against a King George who inherited the crown and our current president.  LOL.

8:39 - O'Reilly versus Michael Moore.  Wow, what a great interview!  I, of course rarely agree with Bill, but he did just a great job here.  Kept things on topic, asked good questions, had good arguments and it was really compelling television.

8:45 - Donna Brazile, you are still a loser.

9:06 - Dean! Dean! Dean! The crowd is going crazy for him.  Wonder what he's thinking...I hear that David Letterman "Dream Sequence" music as I fade into a Howard Dean convention.

9:08 - Crowd still going.

9:18 - Of all the words I expected to write about Howard Dean's speech, about the last one was "boring."  But it was...I remember I happened to be home the day he announced for the presidency and I saw his speech on C-Span 25 or something.  Boy, he was really inspiring.  Always interested me through the primaries.  Not tonight.

9:22 - Tom Daschle says he has never been to a convention this "unified."  I guess he got the e-mail too.

9:24 - On CNN, David Gergen says Ted Kennedy is the "Liberal Lion in Winter."  That is it right there.

9:31 - Mo Rocca reports to Larry King that Illinois is in the midst of an "Obama-rama!"

9:45 - WOW! Barak Obama was just amazing.  Like a younger Bill Clinton.  He moved me, stirred me, inspired me.  He is not a rising star, he has arrived.  He is a risen star.  I said "Wow! How do I vote for that guy?"  I thought, I just saw the first black president.  What a compelling story, great background, embodies American dream.  He is President of Harvard Law Review also- so I guess probably pretty smart.  Good reviews all around for him...

10:00 - Chris Matthews just used the word "amazing" three times about Obama. 

10:01 - Dick Gepheart- click!  Sad.

10:19 - Ron Reagan finishes up.  I thought he was good, non-political, and made the case.  I still don't think this issue reaches beyond those who may have loved ones afflicted by a disease this might aid, but maybe it will affect votes.

10:20 - Bill Kristol just caled Ron Reagan's speech "disgusting."  Michael Reagan (older brother and conservative talk show host) says trading on his father's name is "a disgrace" and said his brother should be by his mother's side.  I am going to guess no one knew Michael Reagan's name when he got his first talk-show.  What an a-hole.  He took the low road and I cannot believe someone would say that about their own brother on nation television.

11:02 - Okay, sorry, ladies.  Teresa Heinz Kerry failed.  Her main job was to humanize her husband and show us a different side of him.  Hard to do that when you don't even talk about him.  Chris Wallace just nailed bvy saying she was supposed to be a "window" into the character of John Kerry.  I learned nothing about him as a father, as a husband, or as a man.  The Hubble telescope?  I don't know, women's rights as an issue rings a little hollow from someone with at least 500 million dollars.  Is she really oppressed?  Does no one listen to her?  Come on...

11:05 - Everyone is burying the speech.  Fox hates it all around, except for- guess who- the woman on the panel!  MSNBC same deal.  Let me tell you- Joe Scarborough just said it, "this did not play in Peoria."  This does not help John Kerry one bit.  Women in the news business tend to be strong women, and they like other strong women.  But she came off kind of cold and distant, not First Lady-like.


1 Comments:

  • I just wanted to respond to Melinda's thoughts on THK. First of all, "thumbs" being censored? I have no idea what that is about...
    Second, THK would do a lot. She has said she would continue to run the foundation as she does now, and would remain very active. I think she actually does a lot more than most first ladies. I think though we tend to like the ones who stay more in the background. Like Laura Bush for example who besides occasionally encouraging people to read, is completely invisible. (Although the Bushes are on the cover of Ladies' Home Journal this month, which I'm sure was a hard-hitting interview.) I think she would be a very independent first lady, and my personal opinion notwithstanding, I think Americans don't like that.

    By Blogger Scott L. Stuart, at 2:18 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home