Scott's Soapbox

Tuesday, September 21, 2004

Blogging and "New Media"

Andrew Sullivan has his take here. He gets special points for using the word "piffle" which is just so George Will.

I think blogs can act as an important corrective measure to the mainstream media. Plus, it allows for quick rebuttals and quick access to facts useful against the talking heads. (Bill O'Reilly seems to be extremely popular with this- see Sweet Jesus I hate Bill O'Reilly, O'Reilly Sucks, Pocket O'Reilly, et cetera). Not that most blogs are strictly factual in nature. Often, we have no editors, no restrictions, and no commitment to get our facts straight. But most do try, I think the line is clearer in the blogosphere between opinion and staright news than in the mainstream media. Generally, when our coverage is going to be slanted, you know that going in.

From my own experience, I did have one person tell me that my blog was too opinionated! Well, yeah...hello, it's called Scott's Soapbox! Someone else said it was "just like talking to me." I hope that's right.

Cheers to all to write and all who read, we are all sharing our thoughts. And that is a good thing.

1 Comments:

  • All I want is to have someone to be with over the holidays.

    Love,
    Jason Mulgrew
    Internet Quasi-Celebrity

    By Blogger Jason, at 9:33 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home