Scott's Soapbox

Tuesday, October 26, 2004

More Ohio Litigation

The Republicans have now filed 35,427 challenges in 65 counties against newly registered voters. Those folks that registered but had their mail returned as undeliverable are suspected of fraud by the GOP, whereas the Democrats suggest these people might have moved, et cetera. The point is, by acting pre-emptively the Republicans are trying to prevent people from voting on what may just be a technicality. I do understand the concerns of people voting more than once, people being mixed up on Election Day. But let's put this in perspective:

I myself moved just over about a year ago. What if I forgot to re-register to vote? What if I did not know? Should I not be allowed to vote now? Should I be denied the right just because of this?

Frankly, that is un-American. One person, one vote. Both sides ought to encourage everyone who can to vote. If it is a pain to count, a pain to sort out, a pain to get it right...then let us all work together and get it done. America should be the model for democracy in the world, instead we have serious talk about the UN monitoring our elections. What a disgrace!

Since I initially posted, The Washington Post has a great wrap-up of these Ohio issues. It reminds me again how much better the Post is than the Columbus Dispatch, which for the 15th largest city in America, is just a terrible newspaper. All one gets is AP and Knight-Ridder stories mixed in with the occasional article I could have written better in 5 minutes.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home