Scott's Soapbox

Monday, November 28, 2005

Thanksgiving

I had a wonderful trip home to see the family this year. This was special for a number of reasons- our first holiday in my parents' new house (love it), my grandmother was able to join us (love her), and my cousin came with his two daughters (love them)! The girls are 5 and 6, and two little bundles of joy and energy. I was a little nervous, never having spent so much time around children. But it was a blast- although a little exhausting. After watching The Tigger Movie, The Little Mermaid (twice!), Cindarella, Daddy Day Care, Lilo and Stitch, playing with Play-doh, helping out at art, putting on coats, shoes ("No, that's the wrong foot again!") and hats, being chased, tagged, pelted with snowballs, and climbed on I was worn out. But they are good kids, and it was a really great experience for me. We were sorry to miss the girls' mother, who was going to drive down seperately, but stayed in Ohio dodging snowflakes.

I also did a lot of hiking at Catoctin National Park, which is only a few minutes from my parents new house. Beautiful, rocky, country, and exactly what I am searching for when I go for a walk. You can see the map here: I went straight up from the Visitor's Center and turned right to Thurmont Vista. Then I turned around to Blue Ridge Scenic Overlook (tough hiking here uphill on snow-covered leaves and rocks!) and down through Hog Rock to the falls. From there headed back along the Falls Nature Trail, which goes right along the road. It was a good hike, strenous at times, but a nice peaceful walk. I saw hardly anyone until I got to the Hog Rock area, which is popular due to both its exceptional view and proximity to parking alike. There were families, picnickers, dog-walkers and all once I got there. A little cold for a picnic, I thought beneath my three layers! As I was walking, I reflected on the past.

I'm sure I was retracing my steps of years ago- walking along with my father and uncle, my beloved border terrier, Minki, leading us on. I cannot express how much I miss him.












If you zoom in (click), you can see his Christmas bell!

The four of us spent many days backpacking, rockclimbing, exploring together and together these form some of the strongest memories of my childhood. This is where my love of the outdoors was nutured by my family, and I find myself thinking of my own future children- how I want to take them out as well to experience all the beauty and serenity nature has to offer. The feeling of companionship within our group, the safe, sheltered, wonder one has as a child all grew in me in these woods, and I find it again each time on walk within them.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home