Scott's Soapbox

Monday, May 29, 2006

Another Memorial Day Column

Colbert King has some excellent thoughts here, a couple highlights below:
According to the Department of Veterans Affairs, beginning with the American Revolution and continuing through the war on terrorism (as of Sept. 30, 2005), there were 652,696 American battle deaths, including 53,402 in World War I; 291,557 in World War II; 33,741 in the Korean War; 47,424 in Vietnam; and 147 in Desert Shield-Desert Storm. Those totals don't include the other Americans who died in those theaters of war. That total comes to 14,416. To devote one day to the honor of 667,112 American souls should not be asking too much. Evidently it is...

What will you do this Memorial Day at 3 p.m.?

I know what I did- a moment of silence during which tears filled my eyes. I was so proud of all those in my family who have served, so humbled at their achievements, so proud of the country I love. Thanks, guys.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home