Scott's Soapbox

Saturday, May 06, 2006

I Just Realized...

I never posted Round 2 of the hockey playoffs on here. (I know 3 games have been played already, but I swear these are true- if not, would I pick 2 out of 3 teams that lost Game 1?)

Here goes:

Western Conference:

Ducks over Colorado in 6. Anaheim wins another long one, but this time they have the home ice advantage. They are so confident right now after what they did to Calgary winning the last two games when they had to have it. Clicking on all cylinders right now, they are too big and too solid for Colorado to handle.

San Jose beats Edmonton in 7. Setting up the battle for SoCal supremacy in the next round, San Jose offers Edmonton a simlar challenge to Detroit in the first round, with 2 good scoring lines and solid depth. But the Sharks are younger, hungrier, and believe in themselves. Edmonton will not have enough offense to stay around.

Eastern Conference:

New Jersey past Carolina in 7. The battle of the red-white-black color schemes. New Jersey and Carolina match up to be very simliar teams, each a mix of young and old, with plenty of good two-way players on both teams. The bottom line is though, New Jersey has Martin Brodeur and Carolina doesn't. They seem to have settled on Cam Ward in the net, but he was not even their starting goalie 10 days ago. While feeling great about themselves after beating Montreal four straight, Brodeur will steal a game or two and be the difference.

Ottawa through Buffalo in 7. Wow, might this one be fun. A buddy of mine who is a big Sabres fan said to me last week when I caught him on the phone "I'm just sitting here watching the offensive juggernaut that is the Buffalo Sabres." We laughed about it, but then after they dropped 7 on Philadelphia in Game 6, I do not think anyone is laughing about that anymore. Both these teams are fast, hit, and can score goals in bunches. The Senators are more talented, the Sabres play more defense. I think the Sens will score enough to win, but it will be a close one- Buffalo made believers out of me with the way they skated past, around, and through the Flyers. (Keep in mind, this is what I thought before Game 1 ended with a 7-6 Buffalo victory. Old time, high scoring hockey.)

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home