Scott's Soapbox

Tuesday, February 27, 2007

A Virgin Mary with Extra Cheese?

Remember the grilled cheese Virgin Mary from a few years ago? Now she's back, in the form of a pizza pan. I must admit, there is something divine about pizza. If I was forced to choose one food and only one food I had to eat for the rest of my life, it would be an easy winner- I just don't get tired of it. But come on, some blurry indentation on an aluminum bake pan, and people are driving for miles around to see it? When there: "They kneeled. They cried. They asked for healing." From a pizza pan? *Rolls eyes*

Sometimes I read an involved discussion like the one Andrew Sullivan and Sam Harris have been having...or encounter a smart, well meaning religious person and I resolve myself not to judge. "It's just not for me," I think. "They're not all crazy, even if I think religion is irrational. A lot of good people believe." And then I see something like this, or the "NunBun" cinnamon bun, or any of these other religious humorously and conveniently listed on Wikipedia. Or I consider my weekly poker game full of drinking, smoking, foul language, debauchery and (naturally) gambling- it often takes place immediately following my friend's Bible Study in his home. Or I think about people so possessed by fervor and belief that they fly planes into buildings, or blow up themselves in a schoolyard. And I think to myself (in a smug and self-superior way), "Nope. They're nuts. I was right the first time."

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home