Scott's Soapbox

Monday, October 11, 2004

Let's Start in Choronlogical Order

The VP debate. I was one of the minority that thought Edwards killed Cheney- just killed him. Edwards seemed much more knowledgeable, framed his arguments better, and I thought was so much more likeable. I have been saying ever sense his pick that the conventional wisdom was wrong, and that Edwards would beat Cheney. Simply because of the visual- young, handsome, eager Southern gentleman versus old curmudgeon. It runs to the Democrats theme- change versus more of the same (1992); however now Kerry calls for a "new direction" and "new leadership." If you had this debate with the sound off, who was more appealing, a balding, bespectled man looking down at his notepad or Edwards gazing confidently into the camera. I do think Edwards has a little too much Eddie Haskell in him though, when he thanks or salutes people I hear "You look lovely today, Mrs. Cleaver!"

But I thought Edwards beat Cheney solidly on substance as well. Edwards took an aggresive line, put Cheney on the defensive and Cheney never recovered. Cheney's best moment, all agreed was saying that he had never met Edwards before because Edwards was not around to vote in the Senate. The only problem with this story is, of course, it was a naked lie. Obviously, this was not a spur of the moment answer, where is the research team for the Repubs? The Dems had video of them at that Prayer Breakfast up less than a half hour after the debate. So, the next day story became- Cheney lied. Nice going.

So, anyway, I think it's not even close and then I listen to MSNBC's post debate coverage and they all say Cheney. CNN, Cheney. Fox, Cheney. I wonder if I am worng. I go online, chatroom on RCP- Cheney. National Review- Cheney. It turns out only the indespensible Andrew Sullivan and I really thought Edwards walloped him. Sullivan called Cheney "roadkill" and said he wanted to turn away from the screen. Ouch. I think the talking heads all saw it the other way because they were looking to much for specifics and details, they think Edwards is just a pretty face. They think he talks down to the audience too much and some make fun of him for explaing things slowly and easily. You know what, the audience Edwards is talking to, they need that.

Most undecideds do not follow politics. They do not know these things. They do not know the intricacies of our Iraq policy. They do not know about North Korea already. They have not "heard all this stuff before" as Tony Snow said on Fox today. No they haven't because they don't follow this stuff. Edwards courtroom lawyer presentation is perfect for this audience, and in polls afterwards the undecideds said Edwards won.

Score one for me and Andrew.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home