Scott's Soapbox

Wednesday, October 27, 2004

Slate Bears All

So Slate has surveyed their writers again to ask how they are voting. Unsurprisingly, it's Kerry 45 to 4. Some hilarious wuotes ensue:

Will Saletan (chief political correspondent) :

Here's what I wrote about Bush when we disclosed our votes four
years ago: "He's shallow, obtuse, and proud of it. He's disdainful of reflection
and indifferent to work. ... Congress can restrain either of them, but a
president can catastrophically botch a foreign policy crisis all by himself. I
trust Gore in that situation. I don't trust Bush."

Looks like I was wrong about Congress.


Henry Blodget, Contributor: Kerry

Not perfect, but "reality-based."


Timothy Noah, Senior Writer: Kerry


Sen. John Kerry is the least appealing candidate the Democrats have nominated for president in my lifetime. I'm 46, so that covers Kennedy, Johnson, Humphrey, McGovern, Carter, Mondale, Dukakis, Clinton, and Gore. McGovern, Mondale, and Dukakis get the worst press in this bunch, but I liked all three of them and still do. I can't pretend to like John Kerry. He's pompous, he's an opportunist, and he's indecisive. Although I'm impressed by Kerry's combat record in Vietnam, I can't suppress the uncharitable suspicion that what drew him there wasn't patriotism so much as a preppy passion for physical challenge and the urge to buff his future political resume.
Still, I'm voting for Kerry...Kerry may rate a C-minus, but a C-minus beats an F.



0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home