Scott's Soapbox

Saturday, December 10, 2005

Super Mario Lemieux- Fellow A-Fib Patient

Yep, the NHL's 7th all-time leading scorer and one of the most dangerous players ever to lace on a pair of skates has been diagnosed with atrial fibrillation.

Lemieux called Wednesday's practice-day episode in which he became lightheaded and his heart began racing "scary," and he was relieved to learn his problem is fairly common.

I've played hockey many times with my heart "out" of rythym, and it is sometimes very tough. When your heart is out, trying to skate, trying to have any stamina is so difficult...just playing in my recreational roller hockey league caused me once to just collapse on the bench. I cannot imagine what it would be like trying to play the game at Mario's level. Lemieux has so much talent, but his career has always been dogged by medical problems- Hodgin's disease, back surgeries, broken wrist, now this. I wish him the best of luck, a speedy recovery, and success against everyone but the Capitals- he's broken their dreams too many times before!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home