Scott's Soapbox

Friday, January 26, 2007

Second Life

Maybe I'm not plugged in enough, or maybe I'm not enough of a nerd (depending on how you see it), but I had never heard of this before. This huge virtual world where people can design and build their dreams. Go places they've always wanted to go, take up a job- indeed, there are thriving businesses that make real Earth money, meet and interact with others online. It all sounds really cool, but...how far away are we from total immersion? And once in this new world, might people never leave. I guess I envision someone unplugging from our world to be who they always wanted to be in this one. A haven't bothered to shower in a week, surrounded by unpaid bills and empty pizza boxes kind of existence.

I know if I ever get into a Star Trek holodeck- I'm never coming back out.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home