Scott's Soapbox

Tuesday, August 24, 2004

Christopher Hitchens

A lot of times when I read the prolific (books, Vanity Fair, Slate, New York Times) Chris Hitchens, I end up asking myself "Why do I even bother?" he can be at times unnecessarily argumentative, contrary, and obtuse. I can read an entire essay about a subject and have no idea what he thinks by the end. Sometimes his words just swim around looking beautiful without congealing into an idea.
But then I read a sentence like the following from last Sunday's NYT article about Kerry and the Iraq war- "When critical votes on the question come up, Kerry always looks like a dog being washed." Isn't that just perfect! The head tilt, the slightly frustrated expression of what he is being subjected to, the acknowledgement of the fact there is no escape, and finally the resigned acceptance of his fate. It's either John Kerry talking about the war in Iraq or my dog soaped up in the utility room sink. Interestingly, both roll around outside in the grass and try to avoid human beings trying to towel them off afterwards...but I digress.
Anyway, Chris can turn a phrase. But I am still unsure why I try.

1 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home