Scott's Soapbox

Saturday, September 04, 2004

A Few Things to Unite Us

1) Let us send all our sympathies as a people and as a nation to those affected by the terrible tragedy in Russia. This reminds us once again that we are fighting a global war on terrorism. Nothing should unite the civilized world more in righteous anger than the sight of a dead child being removed from a school. This is what we're up against. To the Russian people who are dealing with this awful event, we are thinking of you.

2) Let us send all our sympathies to President Clinton as he prepares for heart bypass surgery. No matter what your individual feelings are about this man or his presidency, he deserves all our best wishes for as President Bush said "a swift and speedy recovery." (For myself, I have a particular sympathy for those undergoing heart surgery.) Mr. President, we are thinking of you.

3) Let us all be thankful that our southern states were spared at least some degree of the ravages coming from yet another huge storm. Even in its reduced capacity, Charley may still dump 20 inches of rain and cause major damage. For this to happen again so soon just does not seem fair to all of those still trying to rebuild their lives. We are thinking of you.

4) Let us send our heartfelt gratitude to our soldiers here at home and all around the globe who serve us so bravely and so well. I do not go a day without turning towards my bookcase and being reminded of your sacrifice. I look and I see my American flag, my candle I kept from the September 12th, 2001 vigil at the White House, my Washington Post headline which describes New York's skyline sadly as "A View Forever Changed." I see An Army at Dawn, Our Finest Hour, Faith of Our Fathers, and Flags of Our Fathers. Lastly I see the Marine Corps Memorial drawn in colored pencil. It reminds me of the structure itself, and driving past the shattered Pentagon to find it, to find strength for the times ahead. I see those words, writ gold around its base where Admiral Zimitz states that "Uncommon Valor was a Common Virtue." I cry every time I think of the lives lost in war, and the ultimate cost made so I can live in freedom today. To all who stand today so bravely for the United States and for freedom across the world, we are thinking of you.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home