Scott's Soapbox

Tuesday, December 27, 2005

Christmas in New England

Blogging has been light this week as I have been busy spreading Christmas cheer via retail purchases throughout the greater Columbus area. I love picking out and giving people gifts, especially surprises. Our family Christmas rotates through a few locations- this year was Boxborough, Massachusetts and my aunt and uncle's house.

What a perfect setting! We lucked out on the weather, and had beautiful clear cold days. Bright blue skies, with snow still on the ground from a previous storm, but clean roads and runways for us travelers. Despite growing up relatively close in the DC area, I have not spent too much time in New England, but I adore it. So many interesting hills, people's houses filled in within nooks and crannies of the rocky earth. Many of the homes are bright, pastel colors- orange, salmon, baby blue...like a bowl full of after-dinner mints. I did not see too much of the countryside, but I look forward to coming back in the summer and exploring it.

Mostly, we just stayed around the house and visited as a family. And ate, of course. Boy, did we ever eat! My aunt Sue (with help from my mom) really outdid herself, and the meals were just delicious. We had wonderful food and great variety. The only problem was, it seemed like the minute we got done cleaning up they were in there cooking it up again, dirtying all our nice clean dishes! But the payoff was well-worth it and I came home with recipes for a few things.

We also played our version of the holiday get-together "Family Olympics" with Mexican Dominoes, Tripoley, and Big Boggle, and a silly-fun computer car racing game. I got two golds and a silver, although I did not medal in Dominoes, only the second time ever I have lost in that game.

I really just kicked back and enjoyed the company. I was struck by how much influence my family has on me. My inflections, my mannerisms, the things we laugh at, the things we remember. It was a very warm fuzzy feeling for me to be so close with all of them. What a great Christmas!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home