Scott's Soapbox

Tuesday, December 13, 2005

Why I Don't Give The Salvation Army My Change

It occurred to me to write about this over the weekend when I saw an ad asking folks to donate their change this holiday season to The Salvation Army. I was only half paying attention until I heard the voice, and thought...that sounds like...it is! Antonio Banderas! Antonio Banderas, who gained critical acclaim for his role as Miguel Alvarez, the live-in boyfriend of Tom Hanks' character, AIDS-stricken lawyer Andrew Beckett Philadelphia. I can remember him (and Tom Hanks) being thought of as "brave" to take on such a role and people questioning whether they could ever be seen as leading romantic men again. (Tom seems to have done okay following his Oscar win for Best Actor). I remember scenes with the two of them together, Banderas watching Hanks tenderly as Beckett got worse and worse, finally succumbing to the disease. I remember being a little weirded out, and being ashamed that I was, watching them kiss, hug, hold hands. I remember the affect that movie had on me, and no doubt many others. How it was the first big mainstream movie to deal with AIDS and homosexuality in such a prominent way. And then I felt sick.

Because, you see, The Salvation Army does not care too much for homosexuality. What exactly is their position? Well, it depends on which one of their website's you go on. The position on their American website reads in part:
Scripture forbids sexual intimacy between members of the same sex. The Salvation Army believes, therefore, that Christians whose sexual orientation is primarily or exclusively same-sex are called upon to embrace celibacy as a way of life.
However, it does go on to say that:
Likewise, there is no scriptural support for demeaning or mistreating anyone for reason of his or her sexual orientation. The Salvation Army opposes any such abuse.
In keeping with these convictions, the services of The Salvation Army are available to all who qualify, without regard to sexual orientation.
So something of a mixed bag. Sounds like "don't ask, don't tell" to me. Let's keep looking.

For the UK and Ireland,
The Salvation Army recognizes that same-sex friendships can be enriching, Christ-honouring relationships, bringing joy through mutual companionship and sharing. However, same-sex relationships which are genitally expressed are unacceptable according to the teaching of scripture. Attempts to establish or promote such relationships as viable alternatives to a heterosexually-based family life do not conform to God's will for society...For this reason such practices, if unrenounced, render a person ineligible for Salvation Army soldiership.
Sorry, homosexuals, you cannot be in the Army (at least not over there.)

For the New Zealand, Fiji and Tonga website, a position is not even up:
This positional statement is currently under review and will be re-published soon in its updated form.

Obviously, they are still wrestling worldwide with a position on this divisive issue. But I make my decision right at the front of my local grocery store. While The Salvation Army does a lot of good work and helps many in need over the holiday season and throughout the year, but there are better places to put your money than in those kettles if you care about equal rights. I can do better than an organization which chooses to discriminate in hiring. I can do better than giving to The Salvation Army, and I do.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home